/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

Attn: Expert coders!

I’m looking to update the scripts over at [URL=http://javascript.internet.com/]JavaScript Source[/URL] (JSS) and need some good coders who are willing to take on a challenge.

Here’s the plan: Search through the code and see what you can bring up-to-date (i.e., DOM methods, unobtrusive, etc.). (There are some real old ones on there.) Submit them to me using the form on the Web site, located at: [URL=http://www.javascriptsource.com/contribute]http://www.javascriptsource.com/contribute[/URL]

Be sure to make note that you are updating one of the scripts. List which one, the URL of the original script on the JSS site, and where I can find the updated script. If you feel the script is no longer valid, [[email protected]]send us an e-mail[/EMAIL] and tell us why.

In return, I will post your name and Web site for the update, giving you a link back to your site from JSS.

You are free to do as many as you like. If you have any questions, you can contact us at: [[email protected]][email protected][/EMAIL]

to post a comment
JavaScript

83 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@KorMay 10.2006 — First at all, you should replace all over the deprecated

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">...<SCRIPT>

with

<script type="text/javascript">...</script>

It is not absolutely required, but I guess that all the HTML uppercased (or camelcased) tags, attributes, events should be re-written in lowercase (to be compatible with XHTML as well)

As for the rest... a lot of codes are old enough. It would be a long term task to bring them all to the up-to-date form.
@UltimaterMay 10.2006 — This thread is reason-enough all future script submissions shouldn't be excepted from just anyone prior to being thoroughly tested, re-written to standards, and comfirmed to be cross-browser compatible or to at least noted in the browsers it has been tested-on. A longer submission process should instituted. I think another important factor is user feedback. e.g. php.net provides an "add note" user feedback section. http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.chmod.php

Just being able to distinguish, from user feedback, scripts that are said to work from the ones that are said not to work is already enough information to allow good coders to easily know which scripts can be improved upon. That way the good coders won't be losing as much time trying to find scripts that can be improved-upon and would ultimately encourage them. Also a user-rating system would also help identify scripts that can be improved upon. Provide a field in the rating "Room for improvement" along with an "over all rating" field if you wish.
@LeeUauthorMay 10.2006 — First at all, you should replace all over the deprecated

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">...<SCRIPT>

with

<script type="text/javascript">...</script>[/QUOTE]

In all of the new additions this is being done where necessary. Most of the new ones are being listed with instructions on placing them in external files, thereby negating the need for these tags.

It is not absolutely required, but I guess that all the HTML uppercased (or camelcased) tags, attributes, events should be re-written in lowercase (to be compatible with XHTML as well)[/QUOTE]

Once again, implemented in the new additions.

As for the rest... a lot of codes are old enough. It would be a long term task to bring them all to the up-to-date form.[/QUOTE]

That is the whole point of this thread....
@LeeUauthorMay 10.2006 — This thread is reason-enough all future script submissions shouldn't be excepted from just anyone prior to being thoroughly tested, re-written to standards, and comfirmed to be cross-browser compatible or to at least noted in the browsers it has been tested-on.[/QUOTE]
The scripts are now tested in IE and FF (I need to add Opera to the process).

I think another important factor is user feedback. e.g. php.net provides an "add note" user feedback section. http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.chmod.php

Just being able to distinguish, from user feedback, scripts that are said to work from the ones that are said not to work is already enough information to allow good coders to easily know which scripts can be improved upon. That way the good coders won't be losing as much time trying to find scripts that can be improved-upon and would ultimately encourage them. Also a user-rating system would also help identify scripts that can be improved upon. Provide a field in the rating "Room for improvement" along with an "over all rating" field if you wish.[/QUOTE]

Excellent idea, Ultimater. I'll look into it.
@UltimaterMay 10.2006 — I'd personally help with the updating process however I think it a better idea for people like me to submit new excellent scripts rather than improve upon old ones without potential. A script I have been working on which has been tested in IE, Firefox, and Opera which demonstrates how to use the normal browser-interface scrollbars as input adjustments.

http://javascript.aplustv.com/colors/colorpicker.htm

Don't add it to your collection just yet. I'm still in the middle of re-writting it to make it cleaner, easier to read, and easier to reuse. I'm aiming in-the-end to make it as easy as:
<i>
</i>&lt;script type="text/javascript"&gt;
var a=new AdjustmentH("100px","10000px");
a.onchange=function(p){document.getElementById("countPercent").firstChild.data=Math.round(p*100)+"%"}
document.getElementById("someDIV").appendChild(a.element);
&lt;/script&gt;

to create a new horizontal scrollbar adjustment. (I plan to make a vertical one too)

I'll send you a PM, email, or submit via your contribute link when it's finished.

Maybe, without a vow, after I finish up with this script I'll see if I can enhance upon the others.
@LeeUauthorMay 10.2006 — Great, Ultimater! That's also what I'm looking for ... new scripts. Just use the submit form on the site, that'll be the best.

I'm looking for expert coders to help with the older ones because they need to be either brought up-to-date, or eliminated. Might be good for some projects.
@David_HarrisonMay 10.2006 — From the bottom of the yellow box on the scripts:&lt;p&gt;&lt;div align="center"&gt;
&lt;font face="arial, helvetica" size"-2"&gt;Free JavaScripts provided&lt;br&gt;
by &lt;a href="http://javascriptsource.com"&gt;The JavaScript Source&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/font&gt;
&lt;/div&gt;&lt;p&gt;
align is deprecated, paragraph elements can't contain block level elements, font element is deprecated, paragraph is closed incorrectly, instead another paragraph is opened.&lt;p style="text-align:center; font:xx-small 'arial', 'helvetica', sans-serif;"&gt;
Free JavaScripts provided&lt;br&gt;
by &lt;a href="http://javascriptsource.com"&gt;The JavaScript Source&lt;/a&gt;
&lt;/p&gt;
I'll have a look around see what other scripts could use updating.

A couple of suggestions though, for scripts that require multiple files, have a zip file that users can download. It just makes it easier to retrieve all of the necessary componants.

Also, how about three boxes, one for JavaScript, one for HTML and one for CSS (if required)?
@LeeUauthorMay 10.2006 — Excellent suggestions, David. I'll look into them. I'm adding style sheets to those pages to take care of a lot of that.
@jax59Jun 29.2006 — deleted
@nshiellJun 29.2006 — I may have todo that i learned javascript from javascript.internet.com about 5 years ago
@AndreyIOct 19.2006 — lol.. nice anyway.. do you have a site for learning C# ?
@LeeUauthorOct 19.2006 — Let's stick to the topic at hand. Off topic questions can be asked in a different thread in the appropriate forum.

Thanks to those who helped with the suggestions. I will be changing the script pages here very shortly. Stay tuned.
@AndreyIOct 19.2006 — Duh... I don't know what you mean by off topic, the guy said he learned javascript on internet... I wanted to know if he knew a good site to learn C#

gna

@LeeUauthorOct 19.2006 — Look at the topic of the thread. I was asking for suggestions on the JavaScript Source Web site. That's the topic. Your question would be better answered in a different forum which relates to that, i.e., the Coffee Lounge (since we don't have a C# forum).
@KorOct 19.2006 — I might be out of topics... but, do you need articles about "hot" issues in javascript? Upon my knowlege I might bring some, if you want....
@LeeUauthorOct 19.2006 — Sure, we can use them over at WebReference.com. Just contact Nathan Segal at: [email][email protected][/email]. He'll give you the information you need. Thanks!
@LeeUauthorNov 03.2006 — Just wanted to update those of you who offered suggestions (thanks, BTW). You might take a look at some of the recently published scripts over at [URL=http://javascript.internet.com/]JavaScript Source[/URL]. The format you see will eventually be done to the entire site (there's over 2,000 scripts so it will take just a bit). I'll be removing some of the older, outdated scripts and updating (any volunteers?) the others. This new layout allows us to add more complex scripts with important notes [URL=http://javascript.internet.com/forms/ultimate-form-validator.html]i.e., see here[/URL].
@David_HarrisonNov 04.2006 — Not that I'm being picky or anything but ... [url=http://www.hddkillers.com/2005/11/six-javascript-features-we-may-or-may-not-need-any-longer]there's only one use for javascript: in the href attribute[/url].
@newg1950Nov 05.2006 — User PM'd
@LeeUauthorNov 06.2006 — David,

Actually, your reference is to an opinion, not a standard. In choosing the current format, I did fail to catch that in the code (it's not mine - belongs to [URL=http://www.barelyfitz.com/projects/tabber/]Patrick Fitzgerald[/URL]). However, the javascript: pseudo-URL is commonly used. There are other, preferred methods but, in this case, I don't have a problem. It's only for the tabs. Now, if someone has a replacement for:
[CODE]
"javascript:void(null);"[/CODE]

I have no problem in changing it, if it works. The full code is [URL=http://javascript.internet.com/js/tabber.js]here[/URL]
@KorNov 06.2006 —  Now, if someone has a replacement for:
[CODE]
"javascript:void(null);"[/CODE]

I have no problem in changing it, if it works. [/QUOTE]

<a href="#" onclick="return false">
@LeeUauthorNov 06.2006 — I'm pretty sure that's about the same as "javascript:void(null);", in terms of acceptability. Actually, the [URL=http://www.webreference.com/javascript/reference/core_ref/ops.html#1042625]JavaScript Core Reference[/URL] approves the use of "javascript:void(null);".
@vwphillipsFeb 07.2007 — seeing as I learnt the Math and Aliase techniques from a script you posted on this forum.

The opacity works in this one and 13k less code.
@LeeUauthorFeb 07.2007 — Vic,

I'm not sure what you mean.
@vwphillipsFeb 07.2007 — the attachments gone missing

try again

[upl-file uuid=db8236e7-3f75-433a-8462-6c3a8d14764e size=3kB]070207.zip[/upl-file]
@LeeUauthorFeb 07.2007 — Great! Mind if I post it over at JavaScript Source? (With proper credit and a link, of course.)
@vwphillipsFeb 07.2007 — The help notes are still scrappy and will be improved before I publish but you still have premission to use any of my scripts.

Note it is new, I will advise you of any bugs but appears OK in IE and Moz FF
@KorFeb 07.2007 — what is all about? I have missed the genuine start...
@vinny619Mar 11.2007 — i got this script,

<html>

<head>

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">

<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

<title>login</title>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

<!-- This script and many more are available free online at -->

<!-- The JavaScript Source!! http://javascript.internet.com -->

<!-- Begin

function Login(){

var done=0;

var username=document.login.username.value;

username=username.toLowerCase();

var password=document.login.password.value;

password=password.toLowerCase();

if (username=="admin" && password=="admin69") { window.location="page1.html"; done=1; }

if (username=="member2" && password=="password2") { window.location="page2.html"; done=1; }

if (username=="member3" && password=="password3") { window.location="page3.html"; done=1; }

if (done==0) { alert("Invalid login!"); }

}

// End -->

</SCRIPT>

</head>

<body>

<center>

<form name=login>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<table width=225 border=1 cellpadding=3>

<tr><td colspan=2><center><font size="+2"><b>Members-Only Area!</b></font></center></td></tr>

<tr><td>Username:</td><td><input type=text name=username size="20"></td></tr>

<tr><td>Password:</td><td><input type=text name=password size="20"></td></tr>

<tr><td colspan=2 align=center><input type=button value="Login!" onClick="Login()"></td></tr>

</table>

</form>

</center>

</body>

</html>,

And i was wandering how i get the username used to logon, on to a different page,

please help
@LeeUauthorMar 12.2007 — Vinnie,

You need to post it in a new thread so as not to steal this one. Thanks!
@sumi_jssiApr 20.2007 — need to write 2 webpages:

One to allow a user to set user name and password

next one is to authenticate password.

no database needed i should use plain text to store info.

and if user supplied wrong password ,it should allow 3 retries before ask the user to reset the username and password.can any one know about how to do in javascript
@LeeUauthorApr 20.2007 — sumi_jssi,

You need to open a new thread and not hijack this one. You're off topic.
@gogotechyJul 22.2007 — HI,

I'm project Manager for JBowen projects.

Maybe we could build some scripts for you... I'll check with team.

-Justin

Awardspace Support Staff

gogotechy2.proboards75.com scripts and support administrator

Bolt.com Moderator

teens of the community and JBowen projects head webmaster
@LeeUauthorJul 23.2007 — Justin,

That would be great. You can submit them directly to JavaScript Source
@gogotechyJul 23.2007 — Well it might take a little while.. we are currently putting up some new websites. I might still assign a person to it, but we need some ideas... what do you want the scripts to do? We can make JS, PHP/MySQL, VB.net(web), AJAX, Perl, DHTML, and also some CGI scripts / webapps. So we can do just about anything with them!
@LeeUauthorJul 23.2007 — As you'll see in the original post, I am looking for new scripts for JavaScript Source. If you look around to site you'll see what we have. The type of script is really up to you. We're always looking for good scripts. They will be offered for free, and the source code will be posted on the site. Other information can be found at the link I gave you above.
@gogotechyJul 23.2007 — ok, well soon as I get two websites up I will get one of us to start on it. Only two staff members have JS knowledge (me and Zach), but I have a JS1.5 book right next to me =)

the only thing is if we build we include a link to our jbowen projects website and this can't be removed by you guys lest we will withdraw our help and scripts. Other than that all the work JBowen projects does is free... including putting up websites.
@gogotechyJul 23.2007 — yikes, I'd say that site is out of date.. I remember using some of those scripts back i nthe days of JS1.3 (3 years ago)! I will work on sometime next week maybe.
@gogotechyJul 23.2007 — I placed on the JBowen projects home page a request: [URL]http://gogotechy2.proboards75.com[/URL]
@LeeUauthorJul 23.2007 — yikes, I'd say that site is out of date.. I remember using some of those scripts back i nthe days of JS1.3 (3 years ago)! I will work on sometime next week maybe.[/QUOTE]
Well, the site is not really out of date. There are many scripts that use currently methods and standards. There are some old ones, and I am working my way through them, hence the original post. The site itself, however, is quite well-used by many top JavaScript coders.

As I said before, if you want to help, great! I'll give credit and a link to your site. If you have something, just submit it to the site, not here. Thanks!
@Mr_Initial_ManJul 25.2007 — What if the script you want to send is REALLY big? Multiple functions and all that?
@LeeUauthorJul 25.2007 — Using the submission page on JSS, you don't send the script, just a link to an example page, which should also include where the script can be found.
@Mr_Initial_ManJul 25.2007 — Cool. I have two versions of my script. One has almost no comments, the next is documented to a fair-thee-well. Should I link to both?
@LeeUauthorJul 25.2007 — If you mean for JSS, yes, that would be good. Then I could give them the link for the comments.
@Mr_MooAug 19.2007 — Ok, I just saw this yesterday. I have submitted 2 Image Effects scripts. I'll submit more as time allows. Is there anything specific you're looking for?
@LeeUauthorAug 20.2007 — Thanks! No, anything you want to submit (unless we already have it) is fine.
@ythamwongOct 24.2007 — Hi All

I am looking for javascript to attached image file from any server to each record. Any idea??

Thanks

Youth
@LeeUauthorOct 24.2007 — Hi All

I am looking for javascript to attached image file from any server to each record. Any idea??

Thanks

Youth[/QUOTE]

You'll need to start a new thread and not hijack this one.
@nitro2k01Oct 27.2007 — I have a bunch of different snippets lying around, and sooner or later I'll probably assemble some sort of framework. My question: Is such a collection of code welcome, or must each submission be a solution to a specific problem. (Like a some certain form of array sorting or whatever it can be)

And even if this is not allowed, are scripts that rely on some framework allowed? As it is now, I have a library of functions, which makes some things easier to do, but picking out just the functions needed for a certain snipper, just to make legal to submit might be too much work. (The library functions are collections of functions, like array related functions, DOM related functions etc, and they depend on each other to some degree)
@LeeUauthorOct 29.2007 — If it's a related library, that's fine to submit all at once. Otherwise, you can just post them on your site and I can download individually as I post them or you could just send them to all at once (via an attachment -- we could discuss) and I could post them that way. We have a section for snippets on the JSS site. The idea of having them separated (unless, as I said, they are related), is that someone can grab the one they need without having to download a lot of extra code.
@savvykmsOct 30.2007 — Maybe at some point I could make a PHP or Perl validator, to run and see what old functions, properties, and methods are used that are deprecated or broswer specific. This would be fairly easy, and I would make it in an external text file or two, so that you can add thousands and change 'librauries' when needed to update it. But I'm not sure if I'll remain active on this forum... don't want to get tied up either in projects when my time is mostly full atm.
@GavinPearceJan 30.2008 — http://javascript.internet.com/forms/checkbox-text.html

This whole bit of JavaScrript seems rather pointless to me when you could just use <label for=""> and an id=""

[SIZE="1"]Was it really 2003 I joined these forums. And they still almost look identical! I think a new website design while we're talking about things to fix and improve. Yes I know Lee I'm off-topic - nooo dont attack me pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. ?[/SIZE]
@KorJan 30.2008 — http://javascript.internet.com/forms/checkbox-text.html

This whole bit of JavaScrript seems rather pointless to me when you could just use <label for=""> and an id=""

[/QUOTE]

yeap. And the eval() there is medieval :-)

About the forum's design... It looks ok for me... It has to be simply functional, hasn't it?
@GavinPearceJan 30.2008 — Meant the JavaScript source site. Sorry my fault for confusing things!
@LeeUauthorJan 30.2008 — The scripts section of the site (JSS) has been re-designed. I am in the (slow) process of moving them all over. I had started another thread for updating scripts. If you see any you want to update, just submit them over there and I'll give you credit. (BTW, we can always use freelance writers over at WebReference.com ... and we pay!)

Many of the scripts posted are for demo purposes, to teach, and also to help solve problems in general. There are also some older ones that I need to remove. I have also had many coders tell me they also use the site for inspiration for their own scripts, and that they sometimes gather snippets of scripts to use. Also, sometimes, people can't use server-side languages.

As to it being pointless, sometimes there are many different ways of accomplishing the same thing. For instance, to place the date on a Web page, we could use JavaScript, PHP, Perl, Java, ASP and several combinations. So which one is pointless?
@GavinPearceJan 30.2008 — Well that very much depends if you want the local or server date.

Let's assume you wanted local - then say there was a <date> tag in HTML6 and that tag worked on 98% of the major browsers and produced the same output and JavaScript only worked on 90% ? Then it would be pointless to use JavaScript for the same effect, as well as bad education to encourage people to do it that way when a simple/valid HTML tag would produce the same output.

On the flip side - using JavaScipt to display the server-time would also be pointless.

I do however agree with your point of it being a good code snippet for demostrating how to control form fields via JS as part of a larger project.
@LeeUauthorJan 30.2008 — Yes, you're right. I was just making a general point. Yes, the date tag would be a nice addition.

So, should I wait for your scripts/snippets? ;->
@GavinPearceJan 30.2008 — Hmph [I]fineeee[/I] I suppose i had better submit some things then!

While you're reading:

http://javascript.internet.com/snippets/keycode-checker-tool-disable.html

doesn't actually block the CapsLock key as the description says, it just displays a message informing the user not to use caps lock.
@raju_bhatiyaMar 20.2008 — [removed by admin]
@GavinPearceMar 20.2008 — Please read the forum guides, and learn how to post properly in forums.

Then you may get a reply. ?
@LeeUauthorMar 20.2008 — raju_bhatiya, what Gavin is saying is don't highjack the thread. You'll need to open a new thread in the proper forum for your question.
@toicontienMar 20.2008 — ythamwong, this really isn't the topic to post questions. Posting a new topic in the JavaScript forum should get you more answers.
@kuroroOct 29.2008 — ..
@toicontienOct 29.2008 — Please post this as a new topic, and we can help you from there.
@WessnessDec 11.2008 — Man technology is moving so fast, it seems to keep everything updated would be quite a job. I do a lot of ActionScript and I haven't even moved to AS 3.0 yet. By the time I transition to it, it will be on AS 4.0! LOL!

Incredible how much work it takes to keep up with current coding technology and techniques.
@neha200441Dec 12.2008 — What is prototype property used for in JavaScript?
@toicontienDec 12.2008 — Some reading for you:

Class-Based vs. Prototype-Based Languages

[url=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197555]Web Developer Forums post about JavaScript OOP[/url]

In short: The prototype object of a function provides default properties, property values, and methods for new objects.
@msnmnkApr 12.2009 — why you people not like the JQuery.
@SteveMetApr 14.2009 — Ouch ! that's a bit tough.
@msnmnkApr 15.2009 — Its really very simple technique and you can do lot with less code and lot of plugins are available.
@KorApr 17.2009 — Its really very simple technique and you can do lot with less code and lot of plugins are available.[/QUOTE]
The genuine language is always the simpler and the better. The genuine is native javascript. Frameworks bring almost always a lot of troubles.
@boryi2009Apr 19.2009 — agree.

Frameworks like a tool for those who don't really know programming

----------
www.boryi.com
@zoro2May 21.2009 — [B]what s the code for change background current day in calendar program in java script ???[/B]

zoro
@toicontienMay 21.2009 — [B]what s the code for change background current day in calendar program in java script ???[/B][/QUOTE]

Please post a new topic for this.
@ronjooJul 01.2009 — pretty good advice for what you said, i love it..

It seems like everyone likes Jquery. When I do projects for people, they have asked me to use Jquery instead of another UI package or JavaScript from the ground up... and these were people with quite reputable sites!
@KorSep 10.2009 — JQuery is OK. Till the client (and most of the time he [I]does[/I] that) wants, he say, a "small" extra-feature which is out of the JQuery's range (or any other's framework's range as well). From that moment on, things go crazy: inexperienced coders try to modify the core, other more inexperienced coders try to repair it or to introduce another type of framework/library at the same time, but they do more damage, till everything looks like a perfect mess. Same with Prototype. MooTools or any other. For different reasons, Javascript is not ready yet to support a full cross-browser reliable library. In my opinion, the best and safer way remains a clear, native, and custom Javascript code applied strictly to the client's request, written by a professional coder. No more, no less.

Anyway, it is horrible to use JQuery for a simple rollover, effect which can be done most of the time on using only CSS. And noobies do that stupid thing all the time. They think it is easier to learn JQuery's custom methods instead of learning Javascript language.

When I do projects for people, they have asked me to use Jquery instead of another UI package or [COLOR="Blue"]JavaScript from the ground up[/COLOR]
[/quote]

JQuery [I]is not another language[/I]. It is nothing but a custom structured Javascript library. It brings nothing new, no download speed gain, no accuracy gain... But it bings new custom methods, hm... As Javascript would not have been difficult enough by default, if thinking only of so many differences are between browsers or about their bugs. Like all the other Javascript frameworks/libraries JQuery is nothing but a heavy Javascript package. A good one, maybe the best for the moment, but still a heavy package. It's just an illusion for the coders who hope they will finish the job quickly by using a framework/library. Most of the time that illusion becomes a nightmare.

People who ask for projects should not care about the tools you are using to do that job. I worked a lot with JQuery, most of the time hired to repair damages. No, thank you Sir, but coding in the genuine Javascript language strictly for the client's aims remains the better way.

[I][I]Note for the frameworks' lovers[/I][/I]: I do not hate frameworks. I really love them. I earn a lot of money by repairing (or, most of the time creating new clean codes) for some clients who have used frameworks and ruined their sites. I love them really :rolleyes:
@multimediocritySep 10.2009 — That's the problem with frameworks and libraries. You have to know the project ahead of time and know the capabilities of the system. If you need to deviate from it in any way, it gets messy.

I remember trying Ruby on Rails. It's quite terrible, in my opinion. It makes easy stuff easier and slightly complicated to hard stuff near impossible. Of course, if you're a developer trying to learn RonR, you already know how to do the easy stuff by hand.
@KorSep 10.2009 — That's the problem with frameworks and libraries. You have to know the project ahead of time and know the capabilities of the system. If you need to deviate from it in any way, it gets messy.

I remember trying Ruby on Rails. It's quite terrible, in my opinion. It makes easy stuff easier and slightly complicated to hard stuff near impossible. Of course, if you're a developer trying to learn RonR, you already know how to do the easy stuff by hand.[/QUOTE]

wowaaa. Ruby on Rails, yea ? I remember, one year ago, I tried 4 days to repair a damaged code (some smart guy - he has been fired before completing the task - has modified something in the middle of the coding "core", but I never found entirely what and why - there were too many and hard to be followed changes within thousands of code lines) - and believe me, I tried my best. Instead, it took me 2 extra days to create another clear and rather simple javascript code which did everything the client needed. Well, half of the first extra day was used mainly to persuade the client [I]that[/I] was the best way. Now, I got the money for 6*8 hours. Good for me, bad for him. That job was to be done in 12-14 hours by far from the very start, but the client was stubborn enough to use the good Ace only at the end. This is the real life... ?

I don't say frameworks are evil. They are to be used, now and then, with care. Except that too many people think about frameworks as the "modern" and "complete" substitute for the genuine Javascript. Which is a awful misjudgement.
@multimediocritySep 10.2009 — hehe... maybe I should start a "framework horror stories" thread.
@nottRobinDec 30.2009 — I reckon you need to update the design more than the code. Well, at least as well as the code. Make text larger. Try to cram a little less information into the page. More white space. Change those horrible blue-underlined links. Give it more bold colours.
@multimediocrityDec 30.2009 — That's good advice, NottRobin.

Success!

Help @LeeU spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
Sign in
Forgot password?
Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
about: ({
version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.26,
whats_new: community page,
up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
coming_soon: events calendar,
social: @webDeveloperHQ
});

legal: ({